You’ve booked, now here’s some help with the tricky part, what to pack for a sailing holiday.
This information is aimed at people sailing on the schooner Trinovante but is a good guide for all sailing holidays.
All boats generally provide some basic equipment for guests on a sailing holiday and Trinovante is no exception.
Equipment SchoonerSail provides
Foul Weather Waterproofs
Very warm insulated water-proof flotation suits suitable for colder conditions. These will keep you toasty warm on Offshore Night Watches and sailing in Norway
What you need to pack for a Sailing Holiday
- Sleeping bag
- Clean pillow case. We provide a pillow.
- Pair of wellies. Any wellies will do. We might be able to lend you a pair – email us with your size. If you are buying some yacht wellies tend to be a bit lighter
- Passport This is needed if your sailing holiday starts and/or finishes in a non UK port and we will be in more than one country during the voyage.
No passport, no sailing holiday.
- Non slip footwear – any non slip footwear will do, we are not a yacht so there is no need to buy expensive deck shoes.
- Warm hat and clothing. Layers work best. Thick fleece, thin fleece, shirt, tshirt is a good layer set up. Thermal underwear is a great idea and doesn’t take up much room in your bag.
- Gloves. Most people don’t bother with gloves, but if you do want to wear some, leather sailing gloves with no fingers may be best. It can be difficult to handle ropes in full gloves.
- Towel and toiletries. Most people bring travel towels.
- Strap to hold your sunglasses/glasses on with. Essential if you wear glasses.
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and loose clothing to cover up from the sun. Trinovante sails in Northern Europe so you are not going to roast but sometimes it can get surprisingly hot even in Norway.
- Any medication that you need.
If you think you may need sea sickness medication Stugeron seems to be the one most people take. The active ingredient is Cinnarzine. We do have Stugeron onboard.
- Travel insurance for sailing. For some of our holidays this means ‘offshore insurance’.
We do not require that you have travel insurance for our sailing weekends in the UK.
SchoonerSail’s Buying Travel Insurance For Sailing Holidays has more information about travel insurance.
One specialist sailing holiday insurer is Topsail Insurance. There are lots of other insurers and you do not have to use Topsail Insurance when you sail with us. They may or may not be the most suitable for you.
No valid travel insurance when you arrive onboard, no sailing holiday.
Pack everything for your sailing holiday in a squashable bag, not a large suitcase. Remember space onboard is limited.
Thanks to the SchoonerSail Crew who helped with tips on what to pack for a sailing holiday. We know some of you are constantly tweeking your lists.
Wed 24th to Wed 31st July 2024
7 Nights £1365
A voyage to Fair Isle from Shetland or Orkney
7 Nights £1365
A sailing holiday in Shetland with time to explore ashore.
8 Nights £1395
Sail south along the Scottish coast to Whitby.
4 Nights £775
Sail on the East Coast rivers and up to the centre of London.
Sail from the centre of London to the historic port of Harwich.