The Collier Trade
By 1844 three quarters of the British sailing coasting fleet, employing 10,000 seamen, was moving coal from the North to the London and the Southeast. 8000 colliers arrived annually in the London River alone. In 1702 there were 98 colliers owned in Whitby.
The trade went from being a summer only trade to being all year round hard graft. They were sturdy burdensome ships and the grimy collier would have been a common sight in the Ipswich river.
On the journey south the colliers would have anchored in places such as Yarmouth and Cromer Roads.
Old Photos show big sailing fleets anchored in the ‘roads’ waiting for the wind and tide.
Trinovante may well anchor in one of these anchorages or ‘roads’ on the route south.
The coal trade under sail carried on until the late 1800’s when the railways and steamers took over.